[gmx-users] Stepsize too small, or no change in energy

Srivastava, Dhiraj (UMC-Student) dshv6 at mizzou.edu
Tue Jul 18 07:13:42 CEST 2006

Hi all

      when i am trying to minimize my structure, i am getting following error.

Stepsize too small, or no change in energy.
Converged to machine precision,
but not to the requested precision Fmax < 1000

Double precision normally gives you higher accuracy.

writing lowest energy coordinates.

Back Off! I just backed up prodh_em.trr to ./#prodh_em.trr.2#

Back Off! I just backed up prodh_wb.pdb to ./#prodh_wb.pdb.4#

Steepest Descents converged to machine precision in 45 steps,
but did not reach the requested Fmax < 1000.
Potential Energy  = -1.8373166e+06
Maximum force     =  1.5158329e+04 on atom 519
Norm of force     =  3.1759754e+04

i have tried the conjugated gradient, constraint none and also included flexible water but still i am getting the same error.

what should i do to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for help.