[gmx-users] Freezing part of the molecules!!!

Soren Enemark soren.enemark at polimi.it
Wed Jun 7 18:32:42 CEST 2006

 Hi Marcelo,
 what you need to do is:

 1. create an index file (.ndx) with the groups that you want to freeze.
    Such an index file should look like:
    [ Group1 ]
    45 46 47 48 49 ...
    [ Group2 ]
    106 107 ...
    [ Group3 ]

    where atoms number 45, 46, 47, 48, and 49 etc belong to your 1st group and
    so on. Remember to use the numbering as it is in the gro file.
    This you can do with "make_ndx -f your_gro_file.gro"

 2. Add the folling to your mdp file:
    freezegrps = Group1 Group2 Group3 Group4 Group5
    freezedim  = Y Y Y  Y Y Y  Y Y Y  Y Y Y  Y Y Y

    Note that for each group defined as freezegroup you need to specify the
    dimensions that you want to freeze (x y z). This is done with either
    Y or N. So if you want only to freeze Group1 in the z-direction you write:
    freezegrps = Group1
    freezedim  = N N Y

 All the best,
 Soren