[gmx-users] Sun T1000's, multi-core, hyper-threaded

Christian Burisch burisch at bph.rub.de
Sat Mar 11 00:02:27 CET 2006

Roger Hall wrote:

> I am planning to buy a set of boxes for an MPI cluster very soon, and I
> really like the idea of Sun's T1000's,

AFAIK the UltraSPARC T1 CPU was designed with something like
webservers or databases in mind, i.e. the floating point performance
is probably really bad (IIRC there is only one FP unit for all eight
cores). I don't have numbers at hand but I guess dual core Opterons
are still the CPUs of choice for Gromacs and similar software.

Regards

Christian