[gmx-users] Re: Re:double precision minimization with version 3.3

Florian Haberl Florian.Haberl at chemie.uni-erlangen.de
Tue Mar 21 18:44:25 CET 2006

Hi,

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 18:11, Yechun Xu wrote:
> Dear gmx users,
>
>    First, I'd like to thank David's suggestion. It is not a bug of the
> program but a problem of installation. Now it is fixed and works fine.
>
>    I met another problem about the double precision minimization (used for
> NMA later) with l-bfgs in version 3.3. It seems the optimization will never
> finish. The protein only includes 604 atoms (in vacuum) and the
> optimization started almost three weeks ago but only reach something like:
> "Step 29403607, Epot=-3.927499e+03, Fnorm=2.169e-01, Fmax=1.699e+00 (atom
> 451)"
>
> So my question is that the l-bfgs optimization does take very long time or
> there is some problem with my mdps file? Any suggestions are very
> appreciated!
>
> cpp                 =  /lib/cpp
> define              =  -DFLEXIBLE
> constraints         =  none
> integrator          =  l-bfgs
> nsteps              = 50000000
> ;
> ;	Energy minimizing stuff
> ;
> emtol               =  0.000000001
> emstep              =  0.000000001

Your step size is too small

standard are here (see handbook chapter 7.3):

emtol = 100.0 [KJ/(mol nm)]
emstep = 0.01 [nm]

so try this and if it doesn`t work, change the standard parameters with factor
10 or 100.

> [...]
> >>                            interaction type and node to the log file(s)
> >>  -[no]multi   bool     no  Do multiple simulations in parallel (only
> >> with -np > 1)
> >>     -replex    int      0  Attempt replica exchange every # steps
> >>     -reseed    int     -1  Seed for replica exchange, -1 is generate a
> >> seed -[no]glas   bool     no  Do glass simulation with special long
> >> range corrections
> >> -[no]ionize   bool     no  Do a simulation including the effect of an
> >> X-Ray bombardment on your system
> >>
> >> Getting Loaded...
> >> Reading file em1.tpr, VERSION 3.3 (double precision)
> >> Loaded with Money
> >>
> >> Polak-Ribiere Conjugate Gradients:
> >>   Tolerance (Fmax)   =  1.00000e-09
> >>   Number of steps    =       500000
> >>   F-max             =          inf on atom 1
> >>   F-Norm            =          inf
> >>
> >> Step 0, Epot=         nan, Fnorm=      inf, Fmax=      inf (atom 2)
> >> Step 1, Epot=         nan, Fnorm=      nan, Fmax=0.000e+00 (atom 0)
> >>
> >> writing lowest energy coordinates.
> >>
> >> Polak-Ribiere Conjugate Gradients converged to Fmax < 1e-09 in 1 steps
> >> Potential Energy  =                   nan
> >> Maximum force     =  0.00000000000000e+00 on atom 0
> >> Norm of force     =                   nan
> >>
> >> gcq#261: "It's Coming Right For Us !" (South Park)
> >>

> >> mdp file:
> >> ;    User spoel (236)
> >> ;    Wed Nov  3 17:12:44 1993
> >> ;    Input file
> >> ;
> >> cpp                 =  /lib/cpp
> >> define              =  -DFLEXIBLE constraints         =  none
> >> integrator          =  cg   (By the way, I once changed this option into
> >> l-bfgs, but it still does not work)
> >> nsteps              = 500000
> >> ;
> >> ;    Energy minimizing stuff
> >> ;
> >> emtol               =  0.000000001
> >> emstep              =  0.000001
> >> nstcgsteep          =  100
> >>
> >> pbc                 =  no
> >> nstlist             =  0
> >> nstcomm             =  1
> >> ns_type             =  simple
> >> rlist               =  0
> >> rcoulomb            =  0
> >> rvdw                =  0
> >> Tcoupl              =  no
> >> Pcoupl              =  no
> >> gen_vel             =  no

> >> Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
> >> interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.
> >> Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php
> >
> >--
> >David.
> >David van der Spoel, PhD, Assoc. Prof., Molecular Biophysics group,
> >Dept. of Cell and Molecular Biology, Uppsala University.
> >Husargatan 3, Box 596,  	75124 Uppsala, Sweden
> >phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755
> >spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se	spoel at gromacs.org   http://folding.bmc.uu.se

Greetings,

Florian

 Florian Haberl
 Computer-Chemie-Centrum
 Universitaet Erlangen/ Nuernberg
 Naegelsbachstr 25
 D-91052 Erlangen
 Mailto: florian.haberl AT chemie.uni-erlangen.de