[gmx-users] Archiving all the simulation data

Stéphane Téletchéa steletch at jouy.inra.fr
Fri May 19 12:10:56 CEST 2006

Dallas B. Warren a écrit :
> Not exactly specific GROMACS question, but looking for some insight for
> those who are sure to be encountering the same issues.
>
> How are people now handling archiving the huge data files that are
> produced when going to large simulation boxes for long periods of time?
>
> Until recently it has been find for me to put them onto DVDs, or may be
> two or three.  But as the sims get bigger, that is getting to be a pain
> to do.
>
> What are the options available?  Is there actually anything out there
> that can archive things when you are looking at 20-50G of data files?
> Or is the best option to just archive onto hard drives now?
>
> Catch ya,
>
> Dr. Dallas Warren

I won't add to what has been said already, but just some info about your
media size research :

Blu-rays and HD-DVD burner are becoming available, although expensive
(around 1000 $/€ each burner) and its media also (from 25-50 $/€), the
sotrage capacity starts at 25 GB (single-sided) and can be 50 GB per
disc, for the moment.

If you have the money and a good reseller, the solution is to replace
the DVD burner by a blu-ray or HD-DVD burner + medias.

BTW, i think the price will drop rapidly (i think they'll become next
Christmas 'must have', so price may drop at least by a factor of 2
within one year), but again, it depends on the budget and urgency.

Yours,

Stéphane T.

--
Stéphane Téletchéa, PhD.                  http://www.steletch.org