[gmx-users] TI, sampling, sc_power, and sc_alpha

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Mon May 29 17:28:22 CEST 2006

My take is that it is preferable to partition your vdW and charge
changes into two separate calculations, as the soft core settings that
work well for the vdW portion make the charging portion a more
"difficult" transformation than normal, and the settings that work
well for charging make the vdW portion "difficult". In my experience,
I can get by with fewer lambda values by doing  the calculation in two
portions than I would need to do it all together.

Also, I find that the parameters which work best for vdW are alpha=0.5
and sc-power=1, which is what Michael Shirts had come up with as close
to optimal. When I deviate from those, the dv/dlambda curve gets a lot
less smooth and I get much larger errors -- especially if I go up
above alpha=1 (and even more so at alpha=2).

If I were you, I would probably set up a test calculation where you
are only changing vdW interactions, and then play a bit with the alpha
(and lambda spacing) to see what gives you the smoothest dv/dlambda
curve for which you need the fewest lambda values. Then you can add
back in the charge modification, if you like, and see if this messes
up the curve a lot. If so, then do the charges in a separate
calculation before/after changing the vdW (depending on what exactly
you're doing with the charges).

David