[gmx-users] Re: Re: (dH/dl) calculation

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 18:27:37 CET 2006

Mauricio,

> Exactly: I`d want to calculate "dG/dl for some particular component of
> the energy". Why? I did 2 FEPs, so I have two Delta_Gs for a mutations in
> 2 states: folded and unfolded. Both Delta_Gs are positive values. The
> difference between them (Delta_Delta_G) is the value I was looking for.
> This value agrees with experimental value of Delta_G of unfolding between
> 2 mutant proteins. Now, I want to know what is stabilizing or
> destabilizing each state with respect the other. Analysis of each
> component (e.g. Coul-SR:Prot-Prot) is impossible: it happens that I'm
> searching a delta_E of < 10 Kcal between a magnitude of 10E6. So I
> thought that if I could obtain a <dE/dl> for a component and then
> integrate them along lambda (TI method), I could get some idea about its
> magnitude.

OK, I have two comments about this, and then I'll give you an
alternative suggestion, which is somewhat better, but probably still
not great. First, the comments:
(1) To obtain component-wise dG/dl values, you would need to modify
the source code (probably fairly extensively) to get GROMACS to save
components of the dG/dl, not just the total. You are of course free to
do this, but I can't help.
(2) This would probably not be particularly informative, as you'll
probably find that most of the difference is in Lennard-Jones and
Coulomb interactions -- in the unfolded state, between the protein and
the solvent, and in the folded state, between the protein and itself
(and possibly also solvent). Maybe you learn something from that, but
I doubt you'll learn anything terribly surprising, given the amount of
work it will take (from (1)).

Something you could do that would be somewhat less work than the
above, and probably about as informative, is to break the
transformation into several parts, where you (for example) first
change the charges involved in your mutation, and then change the
Lennard-Jones interactions. Then you'll get several component free
energies -- a free energy of changing the electrostatics, and a free
energy of changing the LJ interactions. These are, of course,
path-dependent, but still, comparing the charging component, for
example, between the unfolded and folded states may give you some idea
of whether the difference is largely electrostatic or not.

Otherwise, you may want to look at structural order parameters to
figure out what is going on -- i.e. the radial distribution function
of water around the residue of interest, number of hydrogen bonds,
things like that.

One other comment on the approach of looking at components of the
potential energy: Keep in mind, the force field was parameterized to
get the total potential energy right (as a function of the
coordinates), *not* to give correct individual components. Personally
(although others may disagree) if I were reviewing a paper that tried
to make a significant case by looking at the breakdown of a free
energy by components in the way you are describing, I would want to
see some validation on a simple system where the right answer is known
in order to show that this approach really works. In other words, I
wouldn't trust that the results are right just because you can do it.

Best wishes,
David