[gmx-users] (dH/dl) calculation

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 18:12:29 CET 2006

Lei,

> I am also confused about the details of dgdl (or dHdl) calculation in
> GROMACS. For example, if the lambda is fixed at certain value, how did the
> program determine dHdl?

See below.

> My initial understanding was kind of similiar to that of Mauricio that dHdl
> equals the difference in total potential energy between two time frame
> (snapshots).

That's never even approximately true unless you are changing lambda as
a function of time, and even then, it is not really true, as dH/dl
isn't evaluated using that approach, and it also contains an extra
factor of 1/dl relative to the difference in total potential energy,
plus there are dynamics going on...

 However, this seems does not make sense when lambda is fixed.
> Could you give more details about the calculation of the derivative dHdl at
> each snapshot? Thank you.

Try reading the manual, for example, equation 4.116 and 4.120 in the
Gromacs 3.3 manual. If you read that, and my previous e-mail, where I
talked about taking the derivative, and you're still confused, write
back and try to be more specific about the nature of your confusion.
You're talking about evaluating dH/dl using a finite-difference
scheme, which is not how it's done -- it's done analytically, since
H(x,p,l) is known.

Take this example: Suppose f(l)=sin(l), and you want to know df/dl.
You ask, how do we evaluate this while keeping l fixed? Simple: Take
the derivative of sin(l) with respect to l. You could *also* do it
with a finite difference scheme (f(l+dl)-f(l))/dl or some such), but
there's no reason to do that, since the derivative approach is
simpler.

Isn't this clear from the manual? As much as I think the manual is
unclear sometimes, this isn't one of those times...

David