[gmx-users] g_hbond -contact option

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed Nov 22 12:04:59 CET 2006

If I'm not mistaken, g_dist deals with the center of mass of two groups,
wheras g_hbond -contact is all about the contacts of individual atoms
belonging to the two (or one) groups. g_hbond -contact acts just like
g_hbond does without the -contact flag, except it ingores the angle
criterion for hydrogen bonds. There is now also the option of providing a
second distance for assuming a two step interaction process:

A + B <=> A- - -B <=> AB,

where the middle state is the two species being within the longer, but not
within the shorter range (for example B being in the second coordination
shell of A). This resembles the hydrogen bond kinetics assumed for the
calculations of rate constants of hydrogen bonding in g_hbond, which is why
the kinetics of the contacts may also be calculated using hte same scheme
when two distances are provided to the program.

If you are about to use the -contact flag I strongly suggest you make sure
you have the latest gromax version installed, since it contains some
important bugfixes for the contact analysis. The -r2 option also requires
the latest version.

/Erik Marklund