[gmx-users] Viscosity in PE

Esther Caballero-Manrique ecaballe at uoregon.edu
Thu Sep 7 17:03:27 CEST 2006

You can calculate it from the velocity autocorrelation function, which
can be calculated using the g_velacc. The friction can be calculated
from the integral of the velocity autocorrelation function
(friction=3KbT/(integral of vacf)) and then the viscosity can be
calculated using Stoke's equation (friction=6 x PI x visc x radius). But
you need to have saved the velocities fairly often (say every 5 fs?).
This came up recently in the mailing lists, you can search the velocity
autocorrelation function. This method integrates the integral at time
infinite (ie, see Morriss and Evan's book /Statistical Mechanics of
Nonequilibrium Liquids, /now on the web @
http://rsc.anu.edu.au/~evans/evansmorrissbook.htm) which might or might
not be a good approximation for your system. Otherwise you can do more
sophisticated methods such as those outlined in chapter 6 of the manual.
Hope it helps,
Esther

Esther Caballero-Manrique
Guenza Group