[gmx-users] Viscosity in PE

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Sep 7 19:36:34 CEST 2006

Esther Caballero-Manrique wrote:
> You can calculate it from the velocity autocorrelation function, which
> can be calculated using the g_velacc. The friction can be calculated
> from the integral of the velocity autocorrelation function
> (friction=3KbT/(integral of vacf)) and then the viscosity can be
> calculated using Stoke's equation (friction=6 x PI x visc x radius). But
> you need to have saved the velocities fairly often (say every 5 fs?).
> This came up recently in the mailing lists, you can search the velocity
> autocorrelation function. This method integrates the integral at time
> infinite (ie, see Morriss and Evan's book /Statistical Mechanics of
> Nonequilibrium Liquids, /now on the web @
> http://rsc.anu.edu.au/~evans/evansmorrissbook.htm) which might or might
> not be a good approximation for your system. Otherwise you can do more
> sophisticated methods such as those outlined in chapter 6 of the manual.
> Hope it helps,
> Esther

An alternative method that is implemented requires non-equibrium
simulations. Check out

@Article{Hess2002b,
   author = 	 {B. Hess},
   title = 	 {Determining the shear viscosity of model liquids from
molecular simulation},
   journal = 	 {J. Chem. Phys.},
   year = 	 2002,
   volume =	 116,
   pages =	 {209-217}
}

you have to set cos_acceleration in the mdp to e.g. 0.1 nm/ps^2

> Esther Caballero-Manrique
> Guenza Group
> University of Oregon
> Eugene, OR
> usa
> 541-346-2485
> Alessandro Mattozzi wrote:
>

>> Dear Gromacs-users
>> I have already run some MD, both in NVT and NPT, of Polyethylene (1000
>> atoms-backbone).
>> I would like to estimate the viscosity of my systems. Is it possible
>> even if it is a rubbery solid? Which method is the most suitable?
>> Regards
>>
>> Alessandro Mattozzi

David.
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755