[gmx-users] protein unstable for parallel job while stable for serial one

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 15:07:23 CEST 2006

Hi Akansha,

Either you need to simulate both systems until you have full
convergence before you can make conclusions regarding the (dis)similar
behaviour or you have to test consistently, running replicate
simulations both on one processor and on 16.

That being said, it is very well possible that even between two
simulations of the same system under completely identical conditions,
except for the starting velocities and possibly the exact starting
structure, you will get two completely different results. If you're
protein can undergo a conformational change it's basically a matter of
chance whether you observe it or not.

Of course, I don't say it is not related to your simulation being
distributed over multiple processors. It may be, but in order to
exclude other effects you have to repeat simulations and/or work
through the code very carefully. Which version of Gromacs did you use?

Hope it helps,

Tsjerk