[gmx-users] total simulation time for proteins in general

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Wed Apr 11 08:36:39 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Apr 11, 2007, at 7:26 AM, Priya Chandran wrote:

> 2. Is minimisation in GROMACS only used as a precursor to the md-
> simulation to remove bad contacts, or can we also use it
> effectively to minimize a raw modelled ab-initio structure.?

Well, technically you can of course use it, but any energy
minimization algorithm will only take you to a close local minimum in
the energy (=enthalpy) landscape.

If you want your model to get closer to the native state you need
refinement, and that's way more complicated. Search the literature
for techniques like simulated annealing, Replica-exchange molecular
dynamics, etc.

Cheers,

Erik