[gmx-users] on NVE and pressure

lorix Loris.Moretti at pharm.unige.ch
Mon Apr 16 15:33:04 CEST 2007

The goal of mine is to see whether I can simulate a large conformational
change on an protein.
A relative movement of one part respect another one, a rearrangment of
on enzyme inactive state to its active one.
When I started more than I year ago I thought this was the MD framework.
I am modifing the inactive state, present in a crystallographic
structure, in a way that would lead to the conformational change and
then simulating as accurate as possible.
I guess that what I am interesting in is the conformation evolution of
the protein system rather than monitoring parameters. For what I can
understand this evolution is deterministically correlated with the atom
velocities. So far I appreciated how trajectories changed depending on
the initial conditions and on the used settings and parameters.

Statistics over 624001 steps [ 114.0000 thru 738.0000 ps ], 1 data sets

Energy                      Average       RMSD     Fluct.      Drift
Tot-Drift
Total-Energy                -464122    10572.6          0   -58.7363
-36651.5

The drift seems to me quite large compare to other simulations.
Shouldn't the energy be constant in NVE?

thanks for helping,
loris....