[gmx-users] Re: Re: Failed Energy Minimization

Justin M. Shorb shorb at wisc.edu
Fri Apr 20 16:34:50 CEST 2007

Mark:

Thanks for the rapid reply. I have made minor modifications to the
ffG43a1 force field (the one giving me these errors), but they are
really considerably minor. I have added an Azide molecule to the rtp
file (and corresponding atoms to the atp, etc.) and I have also added
an NME (similar to the NME in the charmm force field).

I decided to go ahead and untar the original 3.3 distribution, and go
back to the original ffG43a1 force field. This still did not solve the
problem. In fact, my small molecule is diglycine. If I run it with
neutral termini, I managed to get it to run through em, after simply
changing the box of water size (from 1.2 nm to 1.0 nm). This leads me
to believe it is a problem with the solvation. In fact, often times the
waters that exhibit infinite force are in the bulk (not even close to
the solute). This happens if I keep it solvated in spc, or change it to
spc/e.

The molecule is run through pdb2gmx_d with the following options: 0
(ffG43a1) -ter 0 (NH3+) 0 (COO-). With those options for a simple
diglycine, genbox_d should be able to solvate it fine. Also, pdb2gmx_d
shouldn't have trouble making a top file, either. From inspecting the
topology file, it looks perfectly fine. (two glycine residues, correct
atoms and types, good charges, includes all the correct itp files).

Finally, yes: the infinite force always occurs in step 0 with grid
searching.

My shell script only requires an initial pdb file to run, I can send it
along if it would help diagnose whether or not my version of gmx is
running correctly. (It is an unmodified source code, so it should be).
I just am unsure of what else could possibly be going wrong.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Justin M. Shorb			Phone: (608) 262-0483
Skinner Group				shorb at wisc.edu
University of Wisconsin-Madison,  Department of Chemistry
1101 University Ave., Madison, WI, 53706