[gmx-users] To Tsjerk "Starting a simulation of a peptide lipid bilayer"

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 09:26:57 CEST 2007

In your .top file there will be an #include "ffsomething.itp" which
contains a [defaults] directive and [atomtypes], etc, etc. Then your
lipid.itp is included which contains the same information. Gromacs
doesn't like that (which you could have known by reading chapter 5
thoroughly, and giving your files a good look, noting that #include
just puts in all the contents of the file to be included in the place
of the statement). That [default] you mention is at line 9 of
lipid.itp, but shouldn't be there. The message couldn't be any
clearer. Before lipid.itp is #included there must already be a
[default] section. If it doesn't say so explicitly in the file
#including "lipid.itp", there will be another #include before which
has a default section. THINK! There's so much to gain by understanding
file formats, which is a must when using a scientific program. There's
also much to gain by understanding force fields, which is a must when
doing molecular simulations.

Best,

Tsjerk

--