[gmx-users] Step size too small

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Mon Aug 20 10:07:09 CEST 2007

17 aug 2007 kl. 21.46 skrev TJ Piggot:

> Hi,
>
> I do not think that what Per suggests is the problem, if you look
> at the potential energy after the minimisation this value is huge
> (and the other two values are inf!). The problem is most likely
> with your topology. As you say the two molecules have been
> successfully minimised on their own so I would suggest that your
> problem is with either how you edit the .top file or the distance
> restraint between the molecules. For my protein that has more than
> one identical chains pdb2gmx does not recognise them as one if you
> provide different chain identifiers in the pdb file, so doing this
> should hopefully stop you having to edit the .top file.

Yes. Just removing bonds in the top-file is not a good solution.
Breaking bonds changes the electronic structure of the molecule,
which in turn is represented by different atom types, so you would
need to change them as well, depending on the force field. Have you
tried the -nomerge option for pdb2gmx?

/Erik