[gmx-users] Measure contour area of bilayer undulation

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Fri Aug 31 22:42:31 CEST 2007

Hi,

In principle you can calculate this from equations e.g. in Safran's
book "Statistical Thermodynamics of Surfaces, Interfaces, and
Membranes".

However, when we worked with this a few years ago we ended up in the
conclusion that for the properties we were interested in, the
"effective" area/lipid measured in experiments was better
approximated by the cell dimensions including fluctuations. YMMV,
though!

Cheers,

Erik