[gmx-users] Replica Exchange MD using Gromacs

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Dec 1 12:47:01 CET 2007

Quoting Monika Sharma <mon_sharma at research.iiit.ac.in>:

> Hi!!
> Thanks for suggestion. But still the problem is that whatever literature
> i have, I could just get the way that they just did replica exchange at
> these or that intervals. But still couldn't get clear the protocol of
> doing replica exchange using Gromacs. That's why i wished for some
> pieces of advice from the experts who have successfully implemented REMD
> using Gromacs.

I haven't done a lot of REMD, so if someone out there has better ideas about how
to do it, I hope they will add to what I'm going to tell you.

It is pretty simple to set up your MD runs to do REMD.  Make a set of .mdp
files, each specifying a different temperature that you wish to use.  Number
the output .tpr files according to index, from 0 to whatever (i.e., if you have
10 different temperatures you would have md0.tpr, md1.tpr...md9.tpr).

The interval for replica exchange is given by the mdrun flag -replex (refer to
the manual, it's all in there).  The -np flag for mdrun must agree with however
many .tpr files you have (i.e., 10 for the above general example using md0.tpr
through md9.tpr).  As was explained in a post just a few weeks ago,
nomenclature for the input is critical to getting mdrun to work.  Your command
line would be:

$ mdrun -s md.tpr -np 10 -replex (number of steps) (followed by whatever output
options)

That way, mdrun will find all of your md*.tpr files.

Hopefully this helps.  Again, I've only done a few REMD runs, so others may have
more details to add.

-Justin

> Thanks a lot..
> Regards,
> Monika
> On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 14:27 +0200, OZGE ENGIN wrote:
> > Hi Monica,
> >
> > I had not found a detailed tutorial about it; however, you can search for
> papers in which the simulations are performed via REMD.This will be helpful.
> >
> > Ozge.

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant
jalemkul at vt.edu | (540) 231-9080