[gmx-users] GROMACS API?

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Thu Feb 8 00:12:38 CET 2007

Hi Ben,

We will share our ideas before deciding on the final form, but it
will likely be another month or two until then - we want a more or
less consistent core sketch first to avoid ending up in a huge
discussion that leads nowhere - that's what happened when we and
others tried to standardize force fields a couple of years ago :-)

The other issue is that the API initially will be quite limited and
different from all current programs. We will isolate the internal
state of the system completely and load/read coordinates with
routines. The reason for this is that we want the API to support
hardware acceleration such as running simulations on Graphics cards,
FPGAs, and any other accelerator you can think of, and if the user
was to read/write coordinates and forces on the main CPU every single
step it would just kill the performance due to bandwidth issues (e.g.
PCI-E to the GPU).

Anyway - my plan is to have a document describing our thoughts and an
initial (slow) reference implementation done later this spring, and
then we'll setup mailing lists and stuff at www.openmm.org.

Cheers,

Erik