[gmx-users] Need basic install help please

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 9 08:19:40 CET 2007

Russell Green wrote:
> Ok...I tried the find command and it tells me there's no such file or
> directory?? Now I really don't know what to do.

This is at odds with what you said earlier about being able to find
gromacs under /usr/local. I surmise that actually you haven't managed to
install gromacs correctly into a default location.

Please remove everything you've done so far and go to
http://www.gromacs.org/gromacs/installation/configuration.html and start
again following the instructions carefully. Note that the directory you
install from can be anywhere that you can write to easily. Note that
you'll need to change to root to do "make install" to the default
location, but not for any other step. Once that's all completed
successfully, you can use the find command to verify the location of
GMXRC, edit .bash_profile accordingly, and then open a new shell and
everything should work as intended.

There's some good general advice about this process here
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/softinstall.html