[gmx-users] xpm format

Mark Abraham mark.abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Feb 15 00:55:50 CET 2007

> Hi All,
>
> I would like to use g_mdmat to construct a distance matrix. But the only
> option for output is xpm format. How should I proceed if I want to get a
> numerical matrix?

Any such matrix is "numerical". XPM is a representation of a numerical
matrix that uses symbols - see
http://www.gromacs.org/documentation/reference/online/xpm.html and/or
http://koala.ilog.fr/lehors/xpm.html.

Do you mean "numbers in binary"? If so, you're on your own.

If you mean "numbers in ASCII" so that you can use this matrix for some
other purpose, then now you're talking business.

> Is there any script to decode xpm to a numerical distance matrix?

If it's not on the GROMACS contributions page, then I doubt it. It would
not be difficult to write one, but a better solution still would be to
write a back-end for the tools that write these .xpm files to also write
plain ASCII matrices.