[gmx-users] free energy calculation

Maik Goette mgoette at mpi-bpc.mpg.de
Mon Jan 29 16:59:15 CET 2007

You are probably starting your runs from a non equilibrated structure.
Assume, the system changes via a slow growth run.
The atoms may rearrange due to changes in their potentials.
Therefore it may be problematic, if you start from the same structure
for different lambdas. Try simulating a one way slow growth and pick the
snapshots close to your lambda value from the trajectory and start your
"quasi-FEP" with those.

I can't answer your second question properly, because I don't know the
code itself. But my guess is, that GROMACS calculates the potential for
state A and B and then interpolates between them in a linear fashion
(dependent of if you use soft-core or not). From this arises a yes for
the second part of your question. If I'm wrong with that, I'm sure,
someone who knows better will correct me quite fast. ;)

Regards

Maik Goette, Dipl. Biol.
Theoretical & computational biophysics department
Am Fassberg 11
37077 Goettingen
Germany
Tel.  : ++49 551 201 2310