[gmx-users] free energy calculation

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 18:03:52 CET 2007

Hi,

> You are probably starting your runs from a non equilibrated structure.

I don't think this is necessarily true: For example, you could be
seeing the crash you describe on the first step of equilibration...
However, you might want to make usre you have thoroughly *minimized*
at each lambda value.

Generally, this means you have large forces for some reason. One
possible problem is failure to minimize. Another would be failure to
use soft core interactions, or (sometimes) a bad choice of soft core
parameters (I particularly recommend the parameters I list here:
http://www.dillgroup.ucsf.edu/group/wiki/index.php?title=Free_Energy:_Tutorial&printable=yes
which are fairly carefully selected.

> Assume, the system changes via a slow growth run.
> The atoms may rearrange due to changes in their potentials.
> Therefore it may be problematic, if you start from the same structure
> for different lambdas. Try simulating a one way slow growth and pick the
> snapshots close to your lambda value from the trajectory and start your
> "quasi-FEP" with those.

I don't agree with this. I think it's best to start with the same
structure at different lambdas, otherwise you can introduce
hysteresis. Regardless, if you minimize sufficiently, independently,
at each lambda value, you should be OK, assuming your other settings
are all OK. This always works fine for me.

David