[Fwd: Re: [gmx-users] QMMM free energy]

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 17:09:18 CEST 2007

Gerrit and David,

And On 5/31/07, Gerrit Groenhof <ggroenh at gwdg.de> wrote:
> Hi Fiske,
>
>  From what I understand, you want to compute the free energy for
> changing one or more atoms in the QM subsystem. I never considered doing
> this because I do not expect to get sufficient sampling. But in my
> opinion this should be possible.
>
> In case only atoms in the QM subsystem change it is straightforward. But
> I might overlook something important (maybe someone can comment on this
> if I make a mistake).
>
> I think you should modify the code, so that there are two QM/MM
> computations per step. Once in the A state and once in the B state,
> which gives VA and VB. From that you can compute
> V(lambda) = lamda VB + (1-lambda) VA. And dv/dl = VB-VA. This is then
> the QM and coulombic QM/MM contribution to dv/dlambda. The lennerd jones
> should work automatically.
>
> But this works only if you are not modifying the charges of the MM
> atoms. Then things get more messy.
>
> However, there is a problem with neighbour searching. Right now, the
> QM/MM neighbour list is constructed only in the
> if (!bFreeEnergy)
> branch of the put_in_list function. I think this is why mdrun crashes.
> the qmmm interface expects to find MM neighbours, but the QMMM nblists
> are not created.
> You can copy the if(bQMMM) branch into the free energy branch.
>
> Best,
>
> Gerrit

Both of you guys are thinking linear mixing of the two Hamiltonia,
where one can just evaluate the energies of the end states (lambda=0
and lambda=1) and then combine to get the potential (or dV/dlambda) at
the intermediate lambda values. That's fine as far as it goes -- but
it won't work for doing insertion/deletion of atoms, where one needs
to use something like soft core potentials.

Unless I'm missing something obvious, it's not at all clear to me how
one would do insertion/deletion of atoms using soft core potentials
with QM/MM. Though I don't know much about QM/MM, I do know it
involves doing some sort of QM calculation -- and I don't get how that
could possibly work with something like soft core potentials, since
the QM calculation must use an atom type. If you're deleting an atom,
you want, at lambda=0.5, say, an atom that is halfway between a dummy
atom and what it originally was (say, a carbon). I have no idea how
you'd describe that quantum mechanically.

And as far as whether BAR would save the day...  Nope. You need to
have the potential energy of your snapshots evaluated at different
lambda values as input for BAR, which means you have to figure out how
to evaluate a QM energy for an atom that is halfway between a dummy
atom and a carbon atom. I don't get how this would work.

Maybe someone has worked this out already -- again, I'd look at what
Wei Yang, or anyone else doing QM/MM free energy calculations, is
doing. But it's definitely not something that's immediately obvious.

David