[gmx-users] Question about ffamber in Gromacs

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Jun 6 02:51:06 CEST 2007

bo yang wrote:
> Dear gromacs user,
>
> I am doing the MD simulation of CNT-DNA interaction.
> Before introducing DNA, I used gromacs default force field
> and finished the simulation of CNT (carbon nanotube). And,
> in the ffgmxnb.itp , I introduced the non-bonded parameters
> for C-C and C-OW (oxygen) in the [non-bonded param] session.
>
> Now, I have the amber99 package. I opened ffamber99nb.itp and
> compared the format of ffamber99nb.itp to ffgmxnb.itp.
> There is only [atoms] session in ffamber99nb.itp.
>
> Do you mind telling me how to introduce these non-bonded
> parameters (L-J parameters) for C-C and C-OW in ffamber?
> Do I just simply add [non-bonded param] at the end of the ffamber99nb.itp
> and list the parameters there?

Rather than editing the standard files, you should create a new file
with all the stuff for your CNT and #include it
(http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/include_file_mechanism). You can have
multiple [non-bonded param] sections, IIRC. Read chapter five of the
manual carefully.

Of course, you've found a literature source that recommends mixing the
same CNT parameters with two different DNA force fields? See
http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Parameterization for why this is a bad
idea.

> I guess this is important for me because I attempted to add [non-bonded
> param]
> at the end of the itp file. After the energy minimization, I visualized
> that the
> carbon nanotube is standing above the simulation box.

I bet this is the usual non-problem mentioned here
http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Periodic_Boundary_Condition

> Also, I realize that the atom mass in ffamberXX.itp is 0, but in
> ffamberXX.atp,
> all masses are non-zero.  Do you minding explain it for me in detail?

This got explained in reply to the last time you asked this question.
Please read people's replies. How come I can remember the answer that
someone gave their time freely to provide, when the person who asked it
doesn't remember there was an answer?