[gmx-users] re:multi problem again

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Jun 13 14:43:46 CEST 2007

Andrei Neamtu wrote:
> Dear Mark,
>
> Thank you for your reply!
>
> I thought that maybe the accessibility were the problem. I don't figure
> how to set the working directory of say node 1 to my current working
> directory on node 0.
> I setup node 1 to be able to access node 0 through ssh with no password
> but the problem remains. So .. I'm stuck here.
> Any idea where to start digging solving the most probable accessibility
> problem?

Like I said, you need to be able to see the run input file on a file
system accessible to the other nodes.

> In short there is how I made the GROMACS installation:
>
> 1. I installed GROMACS (serial and parallel version) on every node
> 2. I setup the node 0 to be able to access all other nodes through ssh
> without password
> 3. generated on node 0 the nodesfile file for lam booting
>
> I must say that parallel simulations run fine on the entire cluster (I
> mean a single system split on all nodes). The only problem appears when
> I try using -multi to simulate several copies of the system along the
> nodes.

This is consistent if in a non-multi parallel program, the file I/O is
done only on the head node and the necessary information is propagated
across MPI. I'm not sure if this is the case in GROMACS, however.