[gmx-users] NMA for a group

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Jun 22 12:36:24 CEST 2007

Christian Seifert wrote:
> On Friday 22 June 2007 10:59, Bert de Groot wrote:
>> David van der Spoel wrote:

>>> there is a contradiction here in that you say the phosphate is in water
>>> and you want to do the NMA for just the phosphate. Something like that
>>> might work with a continuum solvent but I don't know how you would do it
>>> with explicit solvent.
>> right. one way to include water and still have a manageable system size is
>> to work with a small droplet of explicit water.
>>

>> Bert
>
> The hessian is the second (numerical) derivative of the atoms in the three
> dimensions. In the future, I want to calculate the hessian of molecules next
> to proteins, so the "small droplet of explicit water" will not work here.  I
> do not understand, why I need to calculate the second derivatives of the
> atoms of the whole system, if I just need it of a small molecule.

but what does it mean if you would be able to do that? You would get the
hessian of the molecule in a constant field of solvent and protein. your
are probably better off doing an MD simulation and running essential
dynamics, then the effect of the environment is explicitly taken into
account, and you will have much more realistic motions. It is like the
difference between gas phase spectroscopy in  a complicated field, and
liquid phase spectroscopy.

--
David.
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755