[gmx-users] Re: Frozen atoms and energy group exclusion

Janne Hirvi janne.hirvi at joensuu.fi
Tue Mar 6 09:51:23 CET 2007

> Hello,
>      Thanks for the fast response.  I went through my dppc.itp file and
> chose
> atoms such that the group of frozen atoms has a net charge of 0 as does the
> rest of the molecule.  When running this through grompp, the error before
> about the atoms being in different charge groups is gone.  However, the
> warning (WARNING 1 [file "dppc.top", line 19]: Can not exclude the lattice
> Coulomb energy between energy groups) is still present.  What exactly does
> this warning mean?  Will this have a large affect on my simulation output?
>
> Mike Tomasini

Lennard-Jones interactions and Coulombic short-range interactions (real space)
of groups defined in energygrp_excl are excluded but long-range interactions
(reciprocal space) can not be excluded in PME. I think this is not any problem
mathematically so that everything is calculated correctly but there might be
problem if you dont want these interactions to be present in your system.

Janne