[gmx-users] Energies rising

bharat v. adkar bharat at sscu.iisc.ernet.in
Mon Mar 26 21:42:46 CEST 2007

Dear Sampo,
    rising or lowering of potential energies during md after em seems to be
fine. energy minimization will optimize for bond-lengths, bond-angles,
torsion angles to their mean values and try to get rid of any short
contacts. so basically, em will take ur starting structure to some minimum
energy structure. however, md will be done at a particular temperature at
which protein might not be at energy minima.. and for most of the
practical cases, it should not be. so potential energy during md can be
different than that from em.
    generally, decrease or increase in md pot-energy can depend on the
choice of minimizer used. conjugate gradient with steepest descent will
take the structure to the lower energy than with only steepest descent. so
if you start md after minimization with steep, generally the energy will
decrease and if it follows minimization with cg-steep, energy will
increase.

bharat