[gmx-users] GROMACS Wiki

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu May 3 08:29:43 CEST 2007

Dallas B. Warren wrote:
> FYI, MediaWiki is the one used by Wikipedia (plus the one that use /
> know).  There are others.
>
> In terms of integration with a Joomla site, I don't think there is
> anything very good that works with MediaWiki.  Was one floating around
> awhile ago, a component, but it didn't do a very good job (wiki is
> displayed inside an iframe, so URL doesn't change on browser) and I
> don't think it has been developed further.  There may be a better wiki
> software now that integrates with Joomla better, if that is what you
> want to do, just check the Joomla site.

I googled a bit for wikis that work with Joomla (e.g.
http://extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,listcats/cat_id,1812/Itemid,35/),
and found OpenWiki
http://projects.j-prosolution.com/projects/os-projects/project-openwiki.html
(formerly JD-Wiki) and thought it looked good. It's a Joomla integration
of the standards-compliant DocuWiki, whose feature list is here
http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki%3Afeatures

I followed some other links to a wiki-comparison wiki at
http://www.wikimatrix.org. This contains a feature where you can select
features that you want in your wiki and it'll give you a table of
compliant wikis and you can whittle them down further. Whoever on the
GROMACS team will make this choice should probably do this process
themselves :-) After filtering for what I thought we'd want, the
resulting candidates are listed here
http://www.wikimatrix.org/compare/DokuWiki+Giki+MoinMoin+Perspective+PmWiki+ProWiki+PukiWiki+wxWikiServer+yawiki

The only features DocuWiki lacks that I think might be desirable is
WYSIWYG editing and MediaWiki-syntax compliance. I wouldn't want
WYSIWYG, but some people would rather not maintain documents with markup
inside it. MediaWiki seems to have more market share than DocuWiki, but
the syntax examples for DocuWiki look straightforward and accessible.