[gmx-users] RE: Energy conservation in collision

Janne Hirvi janne.hirvi at joensuu.fi
Fri May 4 10:15:34 CEST 2007

>>>What kind of interactions are you using?
>>>Plain cut-off for Coulomb and LJ will give bad energy conservation.
>>>For your system you probably want to use shifted LJ and Coulomb potentials.
>>>
>>>Berk.
>>
>>I am using PME with slab correction for Coulombic interactions and plain
>>cut-off for Lennard-Jones interactions. Neighbor lists are updated every time
>>step due to the use of plain cut-off for LJ interactions. This actually gives
>>really good energy conservation at the beginning of the simulation, when the
>>droplet is approaching the surface and once again when the droplet is
>>stabilized on the surface, but the problems exist between these "stable
>>situations".
>
>You don't specify how you made your surface,
>but I assume it would be with LJ particles.
>Then you have jumps in the energy with a cut-off, since the LJ potentials
>is not zero at the cut-off. This will result in lower energies at contact.
>
>Use a shifted potential, in that way you can also set nstlist to something
>like 10 which will speed up your simulations.
>
>Berk.

Thanks Berk!

The total energy seems to be conserved at the collision when a shifted or
switch
function is used for LJ interactions. Comparison simulations without an impact
velocity in NVT ensemble used a pure cut-off for LJ interactions but I assume
that this small change in the "shape of potential function" won't affect the
physics of the system but I still have to check it...

Janne

PS. I have some problems with my email and hope that this isn't a duplicate
message...