[gmx-users] Energy conservation of crystal surface (specification)

Janne Hirvi janne.hirvi at joensuu.fi
Mon May 7 11:25:17 CEST 2007

Hello again!

In earlier message I said that double precision (actually same with single
precision) simulation with 4 processors terminates pretty soon and distinct
momentary increases in energy at intervals of 0.05ps can be observed until that
point.

Now I have made more tests and noticed that actually the time interval between
these "energy steps" is connected to output control parameters - at least a
value of nstxout has effect on the results. Multiple simulations with different
values of nstxout (other parameters won't change and nstenergy=1) gave
different kind of energy curves. Energy values were equal at the beginning but
deviated just after the time step, which coordinates were written to trajectory
file. Energy always increases sharply at that moment and equilibriates to the
corresponding value until next sharp increase is observed when coordinates are
written to trajectory file next time.

This sounds pretty strange and I would like to know if there is some limitations
for parallelization when using option pbc=full or if someone has good ideas
what I might be doing wrong? That hopefully might also solve my overall energy
conservation problem with this system.

Thanks for your time,

Janne