[gmx-users] Very large fluctuations in dg/dl

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Mon May 7 17:04:37 CEST 2007

>From: Patrick Fuchs <Patrick.Fuchs at ebgm.jussieu.fr>
>To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
>Subject: [gmx-users] Very large fluctuations in dg/dl
>Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 16:41:26 +0200
>
>Hi Gromacs users,
>I have a few questions related to solvation free energy calculation via
>thermodynamic integration.
>I'm trying to reproduce some literature data (on e.g. methane,
>methanol...) using the GROMOS G53a6 force field. I followed the tutorial
>of David Mobley (thanks to him BTW), but I used the standard non bonded
>options of the G53a6 force field (instead of OPLS). For each lambda
>value I do a minimization, a 10 ps NVT followed by a 20 ps NPT
>equilibration, and a 1 ns NVT production using the sd integrator. I used
>21 lambda values (0.00, 0.05...1.00).
>Here's my topology file:
>----------------begining of methane.top------------------------
>; topology for a methane molecule
>
>; include GROMOS53a6 force field
>#include "ffG53a6.itp"
>
>;;;;;;; begin methane definition ;;;;;;;
>[ moleculetype ]
>; Name           nrexcl
>METH             3
>
>[ atoms ]
>;nr type resnr residue atom cgnr charge mass    typeB chargeB massB
>  1  CH4  1     METH    C1   0    0.0000 16.0430 DUM   0.0000  16.04300
>;;;;;; end methane definition ;;;;;;;;
>
>; include water topology
>#ifdef FLEX_SPC
>#include "flexspc.itp"
>#else
>#include "spc.itp"
>#endif
>
>[ system ]
>; name
>1 methane molecule in water
>
>[ molecules ]
>; name  number
>METH    1
>SOL     893
>-----------------end of methane.top------------------------
>
>And here is my mdp file for lambda=0:
>---------------begining of prod.mdp---------------------
>title               = production NVT methane/water
>cpp                 = /lib/cpp
>; OPTIONS FOR BOND CONSTRAINTS
>constraints         = all-bonds
>; RUN CONTROL PARAMETERS
>integrator          = sd
>tinit               = 0
>dt                  = 0.002
>nsteps              = 500000 ; 1000 ps
>; NUMBER OF STEPS FOR CENTER OF MASS MOTION REMOVAL
>nstcomm             = 100
>; OUTPUT CONTROL OPTIONS
>nstxout                  = 500
>nstvout                  = 500
>nstfout                  = 0
>nstlog                   = 500
>nstenergy                = 100
>nstxtcout                = 5000
>xtc-precision            = 1000
>; NON BONDED STUFF
>ns_type             =  grid
>nstlist                = 5
>rlist                  = 0.8
>coulombtype            = generalized-reaction-field
> [...]

Large fluctuations are very common, depending on your system
and how your choose your intermediate states.

But sampling would improve a lot if you use a larger tau_t, for instance
1 ps, this will also solve your large vcm warnings.
Note that with reaction-field your will have bad energy conservation.
With a tau_t of 1 ps your temperature might go up somewhat.
Using PME is always better.

Berk.