[gmx-users] Very large fluctuations in dg/dl

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Tue May 8 10:32:46 CEST 2007

>From: "Tsjerk Wassenaar" <tsjerkw at gmail.com>
>To: "Discussion list for GROMACS users" <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Very large fluctuations in dg/dl
>Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 06:39:50 +0200
>
>Hi Berk,
>
>Just a question relating to your reply (should be a new thread
>maybe...). The Gromos force fields were parameterized (for use) with
>cutoff/RF. PME is of course better for energy conservation, but the
>inclusion of the interactions beyond the cut-off may give rise to
>deviant behaviour from the force field. Could you enlighten me on this
>issue?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tsjerk

Luckily it does not.
And PME is not only better for energy conservation, but also captures
long-range interaction, which for instance leads to more stable proteins.
I have compared solvation free energies for G53A6 with reaction-field
and PME and found no differences:

B. Hess and N. van der Vegt
Hydration Thermodynamic Properties of Amino Acid Analogues: A Systematic
Comparison of Biomolecular Force Fields and Water Models
J. Phys. Chem. B 110, 17616 (2006)
http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp0641029

Berk.