[gmx-users] error estimates of free energy calculations

Jeroen van Bemmelen J.J.M.vanBemmelen at tnw.tudelft.nl
Tue May 15 19:41:34 CEST 2007

Hi David and Berk,

Thanks a lot for all of your suggestions, which I used to take
another look at my protocol. And I think I've found the main source
of my problem:

Starting with a file containing three columns (for lambda, dG/dl, and
the error in dG/dl calculated by "g_analyze -ee"), I ran "g_analyze -
integrate -xydy" on this file. Looking at the source code (function
evaluate_integral in autocorr.c), this procedure works fine for
integrating the dG/dl's using the trapezium rule.

However, in my opinion (assuming the total error should be calculated
from standard error propagation), the way g_analyze calculates the
total error is incorrect. It results in an overestimation of this
total error by at least a factor of sqrt((number of lambda points) -
1). This factor is 4.5 in my case, accounting for the larger part of
my previoulsy mentioned loss of accuracy. And indeed, as you guys
already mentioned, the remaining part may be explained from the fact
that Berk uses twice as many lambda values.

Anyway, I'm writing my own small program now to correctly determine
the total error through standard error propagation. Depending on
whether this influences other code or functionality, the developers
might also consider implementing this in evaluate_integral in
autocorr.c. Just let me know if you need more info.

Thanks again,
Jeroen