[gmx-users] question about g_rmsdist II

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu May 17 15:49:33 CEST 2007

Fabrizio Mancinelli wrote:
> Sorry, since I hadn't any answer to my question yet, I'm resending it to
> give it visibility!

If you don't get any luck, remember that the source code is available
for a reason :-)

There was discussion on the list of implementing a way to write a binary
or ascii matrix. This would make it easy to do the kind of comparison I
think you want to do. Check the archives for the resolution, but if
there was one suitable for your needs, you'd need to use the CVS version
of this utility.

> 2) -rms output, I guess, is the deviation from average distance, over
> time, for each atom couple. I see my matrix is full of 0's. I expected
> 0's on the principal diagonal (distance of an atom from itself is
> obviously always zero), but others? It should mean atoms' distances RMSD
> are 0, that is they do not deviate... but they don't look that fixed at
> all from the trajectory! This is even more surprisingly in the -mean
> output, which should contain, I guess, atom distances averaged over
> time. In that case there are lots of 0's too. Maybe my "I guess" are
> wrong...

You've certainly got the wrong handle on -mean. Check the man page.

> 3) What is, actually, -scl output?

Don't know.