[gmx-users] Simulating Infinite Nanotube

Robert Johnson bobjohnson1981 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 21:55:41 CET 2007

Are you absolutely sure that the terminal carbon atoms are sharing a
bond in the topology file? Make sure of this. If they really ARE
bonded within the topology file, then I don't think the crumpling is
due to Gromacs incorrectly reading the topology (by the way, use
pbc=full). Provided that the topology file is correct, the crumpling
may be due to placing the nanotube in a box of wrong dimension. Use
VMD to visualize the nanotube and its periodic images and make sure
that the space between images is correct. If the spacing is too small
or too big, there will be a large amount of stress induced in the tube
which will lead to crumpling or stretching. Don't apply pressure
coupling along the axis of the nanotube. In fact, for debugging
purposes, it might be better to turn off pressure coupling altogether
until you figure out what's going wrong.
Bob