[gmx-users] Simulating Infinite Nanotube

Patrick Lafond patlafond at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 17:03:08 CET 2007

Robert,

Thank you for your help, and yes I am absolutely sure that the terminal
carbons are specified as bonded in the topology file.  I have used VMD and
done calculations by hand to ensure their distance is correct.  I am not
applying any pressure coupling and I have also made sure that the tubes are
sufficiently spaced apart (in the x and y directions).  I actually stumbled
upon the gromacs wiki on CNTs (by you) and have made sure to set everything
as you have specified.  It is still doing this crumpling though.  I have
tried running the simulation without LINCS to get some initial energy
readings and the bond energy of my tube is on the order of 10^7 which is
roughly what it should be if there were bonds that were stretched along the
length of my entire tube rather than simply bonds fromed in the image.  It
just doesn't seem as though GROMACS is recognizing the periodic bonds.

Here is part of the log file up until the errors: *NOTE* I have also tried
performing an energy minimization but it results in the exact same output.
I have also gone through the gro file to look at atoms 18, 1495 and 152, 153
both pairs are a perfectly fine distance (roughly 1.421 A)  Is there
anything that I am missing?  Thank you very much for your help.

++++ PLEASE READ AND CITE THE FOLLOWING REFERENCE ++++
D. van der Spoel, E. Lindahl, B. Hess, G. Groenhof, A. E. Mark and H. J. C.
Berendsen
GROMACS: Fast, Flexible and Free
J. Comp. Chem. 26 (2005) pp. 1701-1719
-------- -------- --- Thank You --- -------- --------

++++ PLEASE READ AND CITE THE FOLLOWING REFERENCE ++++
E. Lindahl and B. Hess and D. van der Spoel
GROMACS 3.0: A package for molecular simulation and trajectory analysis
J. Mol. Mod. 7 (2001) pp. 306-317
-------- -------- --- Thank You --- -------- --------

++++ PLEASE READ AND CITE THE FOLLOWING REFERENCE ++++
H. J. C. Berendsen, D. van der Spoel and R. van Drunen
GROMACS: A message-passing parallel molecular dynamics implementation
Comp. Phys. Comm. 91 (1995) pp. 43-56
-------- -------- --- Thank You --- -------- --------

Input Parameters:
   integrator           = md
   nsteps               = 1000
   init_step            = 0
   ns_type              = Grid
   nstlist              = 10
   ndelta               = 2
   bDomDecomp           = FALSE
   decomp_dir           = 0
   nstcomm              = 1
   comm_mode            = Linear
   nstcheckpoint        = 1000
   nstlog               = 100
   nstxout              = 100
   nstvout              = 100
   nstfout              = 0
   nstenergy            = 100
   nstxtcout            = 100
   init_t               = 0
   delta_t              = 0.0005
   xtcprec              = 1000
   nkx                  = 0
   nky                  = 0
   nkz                  = 0
   pme_order            = 4
   ewald_rtol           = 1e-05
   ewald_geometry       = 0
   epsilon_surface      = 0
   optimize_fft         = TRUE
   ePBC                 = full
   bUncStart            = FALSE
   bShakeSOR            = FALSE
   etc                  = Berendsen
   epc                  = No
   epctype              = Semiisotropic
   tau_p                = 4
   ref_p (3x3):
      ref_p[    0]={ 0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00}
      ref_p[    1]={ 0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00}
      ref_p[    2]={ 0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00}
   compress (3x3):
      compress[    0]={ 0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00}
      compress[    1]={ 0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00}
      compress[    2]={ 0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00}
   andersen_seed        = 815131
   rlist                = 1
   coulombtype          = Cut-off
   rcoulomb_switch      = 0
   rcoulomb             = 1
   vdwtype              = Cut-off
   rvdw_switch          = 0
   rvdw                 = 1
   epsilon_r            = 1
   epsilon_rf           = 1
   tabext               = 1
   gb_algorithm         = Still
   nstgbradii           = 1
   rgbradii             = 2
   gb_saltconc          = 0
   implicit_solvent     = No
   DispCorr             = EnerPres
   fudgeQQ              = 0.5
   free_energy          = no
   init_lambda          = 0
   sc_alpha             = 0
   sc_power             = 0
   sc_sigma             = 0.3
   delta_lambda         = 0
   disre_weighting      = Conservative
   disre_mixed          = FALSE
   dr_fc                = 1000
   dr_tau               = 0
   nstdisreout          = 100
   orires_fc            = 0
   orires_tau           = 0
   nstorireout          = 100
   dihre-fc             = 1000
   dihre-tau            = 0
   nstdihreout          = 100
   em_stepsize          = 0.01
   em_tol               = 10
   niter                = 20
   fc_stepsize          = 0
   nstcgsteep           = 1000
   nbfgscorr            = 10
   ConstAlg             = Lincs
   shake_tol            = 1e-04
   lincs_order          = 4
   lincs_warnangle      = 30
   lincs_iter           = 1
   bd_fric              = 0
   ld_seed              = 1993
   cos_accel            = 0
   deform (3x3):
      deform[    0]={ 0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00}
      deform[    1]={ 0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00}
      deform[    2]={ 0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00,  0.00000e+00}
   userint1             = 0
   userint2             = 0
   userint3             = 0
   userint4             = 0
   userreal1            = 0
   userreal2            = 0
   userreal3            = 0
   userreal4            = 0
grpopts:
   nrdf:            2457
   ref_t:             300
   tau_t:             0.1
anneal:                  No
ann_npoints:               0
   acc:               0           0           0
   nfreeze:           N           N           N
   energygrp_flags[  0]: 0
   efield-x:
      n = 0
   efield-xt:
      n = 0
   efield-y:
      n = 0
   efield-yt:
      n = 0
   efield-z:
      n = 0
   efield-zt:
      n = 0
   bQMMM                = FALSE
   QMconstraints        = 0
   QMMMscheme           = 0
   scalefactor          = 1
qm_opts:
   ngQM                 = 0
CPU=  0, lastcg= 1639, targetcg=  820, myshift=    0
nsb->shift =   1, nsb->bshift=  0
Neighbor Search Blocks
nsb->nodeid:         0
nsb->nnodes:      1
nsb->cgtotal:  1640
nsb->natoms:   1640
nsb->shift:       1
nsb->bshift:      0
Nodeid   index  homenr  cgload  workload
     0       0    1640    1640      1640

Table routines are used for coulomb: FALSE
Table routines are used for vdw:     FALSE
Cut-off's:   NS: 1   Coulomb: 1   LJ: 1
System total charge: 0.000
Removing pbc first time
Done rmpbc
Center of mass motion removal mode is Linear
We have the following groups for center of mass motion removal:
  0:  rest, initial mass: 19698.1
There are: 1640 Atoms

Constraining the starting coordinates (step -2)

++++ PLEASE READ AND CITE THE FOLLOWING REFERENCE ++++
H. J. C. Berendsen, J. P. M. Postma, A. DiNola and J. R. Haak
Molecular dynamics with coupling to an external bath
J. Chem. Phys. 81 (1984) pp. 3684-3690
-------- -------- --- Thank You --- -------- --------

++++ PLEASE READ AND CITE THE FOLLOWING REFERENCE ++++
B. Hess and H. Bekker and H. J. C. Berendsen and J. G. E. M. Fraaije
LINCS: A Linear Constraint Solver for molecular simulations
J. Comp. Chem. 18 (1997) pp. 1463-1472

Initializing LINear Constraint Solver
  number of constraints is 2460
  average number of constraints coupled to one constraint is 4.0

   Rel. Constraint Deviation:  Max    between atoms     RMS
       Before LINCS         15.460966     18   1495   2.822744
        After LINCS         3.201852    152    153   0.852419