[gmx-users] soft-core and coulomb transformation

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 17:45:33 CET 2007

Hi, Bharat, and David vdS.

This indeed is looking suspiciously like a real problem. FWIW, I did
reproduce your original problem using my own input files and PME with
gromacs 3.3.1.

It's still a bit perplexing, in that you seem to be getting basically
the "right" answers for the forward transformation (at least, by
comparing the PME forward results with the cutoff forward results) but
the reverse transformation is crazily wrong. I'm having a hard time
figuring out what sort of bug could cause this to happen.

The only thing I can come up with so far that might cause this is a
bug in the handling of B state 1-4 interactions with PME. Since
methane has no B state 1-4 electrostatic interactions, the
ethane->methane transformation would be OK both with and without PME.
But methane->ethane would go awry with PME because ethane still has
1-4 electrostatic interactions.

If I remember correctly, though, you reported that the vacuum
calculations work fine? That wouldn't be consistent with my
explanation above, and perhaps would suggest that the problem is
interactions with water, somehow?

Just speculation at this point.

I'm doing some more testing on this end (trying to come up with a more
minimal example). I'm checking to see whether discharging phenol in
water gives the same results as charging phenol in water.

David