[gmx-users] grompp error

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 9 20:24:32 CEST 2007

> hi... i have been trying to do grompp for the following file but am
> getting this error:
> There were 1 error(s) processing your inputWARNING 3 [file
> "popc.top", line 32]:  7380 non-matching atom names  atom names from
>  popc.top will be used  atom names from popc.pdb will be ignored

Your topology is incorrect. I am hesitant to assist more because 1)
you didn't include your topology here, 2) there is a massive amount of
questions exactly like this one for lipid topology problems, and 3)
you do not appear to be helping yourself (see next section).

> double-checking input for internal consistency...ERROR: The cut-off
> length is longer than half the shortest box vector or longer than
> the smallest box diagonal element. Increase the box size or decrease
>  rlist.There were 3 warnings

This means exactly what it says. Did you read this carefully? your
rcoulomb=1.4 therefore your box needs to be longer than 2.8nm, but
this error message is telling you that it is not. Therefore make your
box bigger. Try this:
editconf -f popc.pdb -o popc.gro
tail -1 popc.gro
--> here you see your box dimensions.
WARNING: don't make your box 2.8001nm since it will likely shrink a
little if you are doing constant pressure.
WARNING: did you even turn on constant pressure? I think not. However
you have set some variables for constant pressure ... this is not the
same as turning it on. Look at the mdp options for pressure coupling.

WARNING: Once you change your box size (the source of the error) then
grompp is going to allow you to continue past the warnings (the atom
names don't match). If your topology is still incorrect then your next
error will be about a 1-4 interaction that is larger than 1nm. But
that won't actually be the source of the problem... the source of the
problem is that your topology is incorrect.

SUGGESTION: make a simple test system with one lipid and one water and
no PBC. If you can go through grompp and a short mdrun then you can
have some measure of faith in your topology.

Chris.