[gmx-users] uneven distribution of water across the bilayer

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Oct 19 08:28:01 CEST 2007

Alok wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am trying to simulate lipid-water system (340 POPE lipids & 6120 TIP4P
> Waters), during the solvation by genbox, It also add the the water at
> the interior of the bilayer. I removed those water molecules by my perl
> script. But after removing these water molecules I have observed a zone
> between the lipid head group and water.

You'll have to describe that "zone" better if you want us to understand
what you're talking about. Read genbox -h where it mentions vdwradii.dat

> I tried to do small simulations
> (50 to250 ps) using different pressure coupling but still I am not
> getting the structure which have homogeneous arrangement of water over
> lipid head group. There is uneven distribution of water across the
> bilayer.

Are these last two observations related, or not?

> During this sort simulations position restrain on lipid was
> applied.

Check your waters aren't restrained too.

> I tried Isotropic, semiisotropic,anisotropic pressure coupling with the
> following parameter, but no luck

I think you need to read section 7.3.14 of the manual. You're using
combinations of parameter values that don't make sense.

> Isotropic:
> Pcoupl                       = Berendsen
> Pcoupltype                = isotropic
> tau_p                         =   2.0
> compressibility         =  4.5e-5
> ref_p                          = 1
>
> semiisotropic:
> Pcoupl                       = Berendsen
> Pcoupltype               = semiisotropic
> tau_p                        =   2       2
> compressibility        =  0       4.5e-5
> ref_p                         =  0       1.0
>
> anisotropic:
> Pcoupl                      =  Berendsen
> pcoupltype               =  anisotropic
> tau_p                        =  10.0       10.0        10.0      0
> 0       0
> compressibility        =  4.5e-5   4.5e-5    4.5e-5    0      0       0
> ref_p                         =  1.0         1.0           1.0
>  0      0       0
>
> I also tried NVT Ensemble but no success till now.

So the problem is something other than the way you're setting up your
ensemble.

That looks OK at a glance.