[gmx-users] solvate using genbox results in water in the center ofthe bilayer. How to edit pdb file contents in gromacs ?

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 25 07:07:42 CEST 2007

> You can do it by two different methods.
>
> 1) You can increase the default VdW radii of the lipid atoms in  /usr/local/
> gromacs/share/top/vdwradii.dat file (path might be different from
> your system), say 0.5 for carbon, so genbox will not add the water
> inside the bilayer.

Cleaner method is to:
cp /usr/local/gromacs/share/top/vdwradii.dat ./vdwradii.dat
and then modify the local file.

> but you will find a gap between lipid head groups and water
> molecules which can be resolved after some ps dynamics. (I
> personally have not yet got the success ;-) )

Do I understand you to say that for you the gap does not completely
dissapear in <500ps? Did you use semiisotropic coupling? Otherwise it
will be more difficult for this space to fill in. It should fill in
really quite quickly (<<500ps)... has for me.

> 2) You can write a small script which can delete these water
> molecules, I wrote a script for the same if you need contact me
> offline.

I have previously posted such a script. It takes 10-30 minutes to run
since it's not sophisticated, but it does work very well.

http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2006-May/021526.html

I forgot to mention that in the previously referenced script there is
an assumption that you use a 3 atom water molecule. If you use tip4p
then you would want

   if [ "$count" = 3 ]; then
     count=0
   fi