[gmx-users] solvate using genbox results in water in the centerofthe bilayer. How to edit pdb file contents in gromacs ?

Alok alokjain at iitk.ac.in
Thu Oct 25 08:27:13 CEST 2007

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your time and suggestion.
I tried all the possible pressure couplings (including semiisotropic) and
run it for around 500ps.Gap between head group and water molecule disappear,
but I was getting uneven distribution of water molecules. I am pasting my
previous mail again. Hope I will get any solution for my problem.

Best Regards,
Alok

Dear Mark,

Thanks a lot for your valuable time, and sorry for inappropriate
description, I am describing again, I hope thin time I can make it clear.

I took preequilibrated POPE.pdb files which already have SPC water molecules
I had deleted these water molecules and change the box size at 'Z Axis'
only, so I can accommodate more water, then using genbox I had added TIP4P
water molecules, but it also added the water molecules in the interior of
the bilayer. So I deleted these water by the criteria if the 'Z' coordinate
of the water in between the 'Z_min' and 'Z_max' of 'C13' (where branching of
the POPE molecules start) atom. After that I got the files which don't have
any water at the interior of the bilayer but there is a vaccuum between
lipid head group and TIP4P water molecules (I defined it as a ZONE in my
previous mail). As discussed in the mailing list so many times I can do same
thing by increasing the VdW radius of lipid atoms. But after that I was
expecting these vacuum will be vanished and water molecules will spread
homogenously after sort span of MD, as suggested in the mailing list. But
here problem has started I run MD till 500ps, but water molecules are
clustered at some places, at some places there is no water or very less
water. i.e. I am getting uneven distribution of water molecules over lipid
head groups.

So I thought this problem might be due to pressure coupling or type of
ensemble I am using (might be I am wrong here !).

I ran four different sort MD by using isotropic, semiisotropic, anisotropic
pressure coupling and last one no pressure coupling (NVT ensemble). But in
all the cases I am getting similar structure at last which is uneven
distribution of TIP4P water molecules over head groups.

The parameters I used for diffrent couplings all mentioned below.

Isotropic: (First Simulation)
diffrent                       = Berendsen
Pcoupltype                = isotropic
tau_p                         =   2.0
compressibility         =  4.5e-5
ref_p                          = 1

semiisotroic: (Second Simulation)
Pcoupl                       = Berendsen
Pcoupltype               = semiisotropic
tau_p                        =   2       2
compressibility        =    0       4.5e-5
ref_p                         =  0       1.0

anisotropic: (Third Simulation)
Pcoupl                      =  Berendsen
pcoupltype               =  anisotropic
tau_p                        =  10.0       10.0        10.0      0        0
0
compressibility        =  4.5e-5     4.5e-5     4.5e-5    0        0       0
ref_p                         =  1.0         1.0           1.0      0
0       0

NVT  (Fourth Simulation).

I hope I make my problem clear.could some one give some idea what
parameters/ensemble I should take to overcome this problem.  please suggest
me where I am doing mistake.

Thanks
Regards,
Alok