[gmx-users] RE: Neutralising charge distribution

van Bemmelen J.J.M.vanBemmelen at student.TUDelft.NL
Tue Sep 18 12:14:12 CEST 2007

Hi George,

Yes, such a correction term exists, but it's a divergent term. This term
is IMPLICITLY included in the energy, since it compensates for the
divergent part in the reciprocal space term, leaving a constant term.
This constant term is included explicitly in the code.

You could take this constant term out. But be very aware that this
constant term not only represents the 'uniform background charge' (or
'neutralising charge distribution', if you will) but also the divergent
part of reciprocal space term. So simply leaving it out would be highly
unphysical, at least in my opinion.

If you really want to know more, I suggest digging into the formulas
yourself. :-)

Greetz,
Jeroen