[gmx-users] g_rmsf

SWAPNA swapna.lekkala at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 15:55:50 CEST 2008

Dear gmx users,

I have a basic query.
With respect to which structure are the rmsf values calculated per each
atom?

is it w.r.t average structure of the protein or the reference structure that
we provide using -s option?

I dont find any explanation of the output generated using g_rmsf. Please
make this clear.

Thanks!!
Swapna

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 5:06 AM, Maik Goette <mgoette at mpi-bpc.mpg.de> wrote:

> QL,
>
> 1. Yes. I'd use version a) because of, the less dummies, the better.
> 2. Yes
> 3. Of course, charges have to vanish for dummies, too. Keep the bonded
> terms. If not, your dummies will "diffuse" away.
>
> Yes, your assumption about dummies is right.
>
> Actually, I won't use this system for your first perturbation. Take
> something simpler.
> Second, as indicated by point 3, you will have to tackle a disappearing
> netto charge of -1 (depending on the pH of course). This usually is a
> problem.
> There were discussions of PME being problematic here.
> Morphing an ion to counter that charge difference is possible. However, I
> think this would lead to a very bad equilibrated system and no reasonable
> results.
>
> Regards
>
> Maik Goette, Dipl. Biol.
> Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry
> Theoretical & computational biophysics department
> Am Fassberg 11
> 37077 Goettingen
> Germany
> Tel.  : ++49 551 201 2310
> Fax   : ++49 551 201 2302
> Email : mgoette[at]mpi-bpc.mpg.de
>        mgoette2[at]gwdg.de
> WWW   : http://www.mpibpc.gwdg.de/groups/grubmueller/
>

> friendli wrote:
>
> > Dear Gmx users,
> >
> > I am calculating the mutation free energy from amino acid Asp to Asn as
> > a test job for my practice.
> > I have some questions about setting up the topology file.
> >
> > 1, from Asp to Asn mutation, the -CH2-COOH changes to -CH2-CO-NH2 or
> > simply -OH to -NH2.
> > In topology, O <-> N.
> > What about the hydrogens, do I need one or two dummy(DUM) atoms?
> >
> > a), DUM <-> H ; H(of OH) <-> H(of NH2)
> > b), DUM <-> H(of NH2); DUM <-> H(of NH2); H(of OH) to DUM
> > a) or b) should I use?
> >
> > 2, I need to provide the coordinates for the dummy atoms in the .gro
> > file(Asp), right? since otherwise the # of atoms in .top and .gro will
> > mismatch.
> >
> > 3, from the tutorial(methane) I read, the masses of the dummy atom keeps
> > like real atom and the C6 and C12 changes to zero in [atomtypes] to vanish
> > the nonbonded interactions.  How to deal with the bonds and the charges for
> > dummy atoms? bonded interactions?
> >
> > I think I am a bit confused by the definition of the dummy atom.  I
> > understanding is a dummy atom is a atoms with same mass but no interaction
> > with all other atoms. Is that right?
> >

> > thanks for help and suggestions are appreciate.
> >
> > QL
> > posting!
> > Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
> > interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.
> >
> > .

The logic of life lies exclusively neither in the most incredible detail,
nor in the most sweeping synopsis.