[gmx-users] Help, cannot compile with mpi

Florian Dommert dommert at fias.uni-frankfurt.de
Sat Apr 12 22:57:42 CEST 2008

Hi,

 it seems fabracht is using Ubuntu and not very familiar with the MPI
and compiling. So I suggest to install the LAM-MPI from the repositories
of Ubuntu. They are not the latest version, but I do not think, its a
good idea to compile a very important library and install it in the root
directories, if I am not sure, that it is faultless.

My proposal is to use the LAM-MPI of Ubuntu and install GROMACS as well
as the FFTW3 libraries in a directory like $HOME/local. It allows an
easy uninstall process, by deleting the install directories. This is
provided as you need no superuser rights during the installation and
thats why no system dependencies are changed. In case you want to give
all user access to the installation, GROMACS and the FFTW3 can also be
installed in the /usr/local directory. But I suggest a further prefix
like /usr/local/fftw3, to enable the easy uninstallation process.

At the end a little example for the compiling of GROMACS with a FFTW3 in
the directory $FFTW3=$HOME/local/fftw3

FFTW3:

FFTW3=$HOME/local/FFTW3
./configure --prefix=$FFTW3 --enable-float
make && make install
make distclean
./configure --prefix=$FFTW3 --enable-type-prefix
make && make install

Now you have installed the FFTW3 libraries in $FFTW3 and no superuser
rights were required.

LDFLAGS=-L$FFTW3/lib CPPFLAGS=-I$FFTW3/include ./configure
--prefix=$HOME/local/gmx --enable-mpi
make
make install

then put your $HOME/local/gmx/bin your path of the .bashrc, source
(source ~/.bashrc) it and GROMACS should work with Ubuntu on a multicore
machine.

Run the gmxtests after booting LAM and you will recognized if your
compilation works.

Hopefully I have not confused you and you can have fun with GROMACS

Best Regards

Flo

--
Florian Dommert
Dipl.-Phys.

Computational and Theoretical Softmatter & Biophysics group

Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies
Johann-Wolfgang-Goethe University

Ruth-Moufang-Str. 1
60438 Frankfurt am Main

Phone: +49(0)69 / 798 - 47522