[gmx-users] Entropy correction in PMF

Ángel Piñeiro fangel at usc.es
Wed Apr 23 18:45:32 CEST 2008

I sent the attached message on last March 31 but I didn't get any
answer... may be the right people was not available at that time and
that is why I am trying again. I would thank a lot to have some more
detail about this paragraph in the gromacs manual (version 3.3, chapter
6, page 111):

“Whether one needs to correct for this contribution depends on what the
pmf should represent. When one wants to pull a substrate into a protein,
this entropic term indeed contributes to the work to get the substrate
into the protein. But when calculating a pmf between two solutes in a
solvent, for the purpose of simulating without solvent, the entropic
contribution should be removed. Note that this term can be significant;
when at 300K the distance is halved the contribution is 3.5 kJ mol-1.”

why exactly for a substrate-protein complex shouldn't one correct the
pmf?

Angel Piñeiro.