[gmx-users] Entropy correction in PMF

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Thu Apr 24 02:34:40 CEST 2008

That sentence could definitely use some massaging. Try this:

Whether one needs to correct for this contribution depends on what the
pmf should represent. When one wants to pull a substrate into a protein,
this entropic term indeed contributes to the work to get the substrate
into the protein. This is because the work required to pull a ligand
into a protein binding pocket depends on the concentration of that
ligand in the unbound state. The entropic contribution, however,
depends on the size of your simulation box if your sampling of the
entire box is ergodic. Further, the large computational cost of
converging the sampling of large separations between the protein and
ligand make it undesirable to target true ergodicity for large
separations. It is more efficient to calculate the work required to
pull a ligand into a protein from an unbound state that has a defined
concentration and then to separately calculate the work required to
change that concentration to some standard state, e.g. 1 molar.

If any other free energy users care to comment, perhaps we could come
up with something based on what I have suggested (or something
entirely different) that could go into the new manual.