[gmx-users] Entropy correction in PMF

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 24 09:23:33 CEST 2008

> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:34:40 -0400
> From: chris.neale at utoronto.ca
> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
> Subject: [gmx-users] Entropy correction in PMF
>
> That sentence could definitely use some massaging. Try this:
>
> Whether one needs to correct for this contribution depends on what the
> pmf should represent. When one wants to pull a substrate into a protein,
> this entropic term indeed contributes to the work to get the substrate
> into the protein. This is because the work required to pull a ligand
> into a protein binding pocket depends on the concentration of that
> ligand in the unbound state. The entropic contribution, however,
> depends on the size of your simulation box if your sampling of the
> entire box is ergodic. Further, the large computational cost of
> converging the sampling of large separations between the protein and
> ligand make it undesirable to target true ergodicity for large
> separations. It is more efficient to calculate the work required to
> pull a ligand into a protein from an unbound state that has a defined
> concentration and then to separately calculate the work required to
> change that concentration to some standard state, e.g. 1 molar.
>
> If any other free energy users care to comment, perhaps we could come
> up with something based on what I have suggested (or something
> entirely different) that could go into the new manual.

This is not a simple should or should not.
It depends on what you want to use the PMF for.

You should be aware that there is this simple entropic distance contribution.
When a substrate needs to enter into a protein, it has to work against
this entropic term. If you include this or not, depends on how your want
to present the PMF in a presentation, or how your will use it for further
calculation.

Berk.